QuickBooks offers an installation option designed specifically for dedicated file servers. This installation does not install the QuickBooks application.
Note: Installing the QuickBooks Database Server does not require a user license.
- Exit all running programs, including virus protection programs.
- Insert the QuickBooks CD into your computer's CD-ROM drive Or Run the downloaded executable file.
- Note: If the Installation Wizard does not start automatically, click the Windows Start button and then click Run. (In Windows Vista, go to the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.) Type "D:setup.exe" (where "D" is the CD-ROM drive letter) and then click OK.
- During the installation, click the install options for More Than One User and then Install Database Server Only.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the server installation.
- At the end of the server installation, the QuickBooks Database Server Manager will open. Use this utility to scan the server for company files:
- Indicate which folders contain QuickBooks company files. If you're not sure where files are stored, you can choose to scan entire disks.
- Click the Scan button to begin the scan. The display bar indicates which folders are being scanned.
Once the scan is complete, the company files in the scanned folders are configured for multi-user access.
Important: All company files stored on the server must be scanned once to ensure that they're configured properly.